The VGH Center for Cardiovascular Health offers the first cardiac rehabilitation program specifically for women with a diagnosis of SCAD. The clinic provides an opportunity for women with a similar diagnosis to exercise, learn and support one another along their journey of healing and wellness.
The SCAD CR program is run through the Leslie Diamond Women’s Heart Health Clinic, offering women’s only exercise classes and education sessions including women’s health issues.
This is a comprehensive risk reduction program, led by a team of health care professionals. These include cardiologists, registered nurses, exercise specialists, a dietitian, social worker, psychiatrist and fitness instructors.
The centre offers these services:
- Medical examination by a cardiologist
- Test your ability to exercise and carry out activities
- Exercise prescription – supervised and monitored
- Education sessions about heart disease and healthy living, including women’s specific health topics
- Cholesterol testing
- Aggressive treatments and support to reduce heart disease risks, including smoking cessation
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Diabetes management
- Support groups for depression and stress management
- Dietary counseling with a registered dietitian
- Specialty workshops including Yin Yoga, Heart Health Cooking, and Mindful Living (additional fees may apply)
After an initial interview and examination by a cardiologist, participants attend a one-hour exercise class each week, plus a 20-25 minute education session. The program consists of 24 weekly sessions. Additional self directed drop in exercise sessions are available during open gym hours Monday through Saturday. Currently the SCAD CR class is offered every Friday from 11:40 to 12:00 for the education session, followed by exercise from 12:15 to 13:15.
There is a fee of $100/month. Financial assistance is available for those who cannot afford the program fee.
For more information, contact us at:
SCAD Cardiac Rehab Program
Leslie Diamond Women’s Heart Health Clinic
VGH Centre for Cardiovascular Health
6th Floor, Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre
Vancouver General Hospital
2775 Laurel Street
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9